Monday, April 14, 2008

the GPS mobile

In an article:
"GPS devices are getting smaller, and over the next couple of years more and more mobile phones will come equipped with chips that communicate with satellites in space, providing pinpoint data about your location"

In Japan:
Japan has had Internet in cell phone for a long time (i think about 8 years).
Because of that there are so many Internet sites for only cell phone.
Cities in Japan are so crowded and big. New building are built everyday and many shops change there name and owner so fast, nobody knows what's where.
One time I asked a guy working at an electrical appliances store in Tokyo,
"Do you know where I can find a restaurant called [....]?"
He said "I'm sorry I don't know."
I found the restaurant 1 block away from the store by using GPS on cell phone.
Now cell phone companies are adding GPS function to the cell phones.

The technologies are making our lives easier to live, but I'm sure in the old days people knew everyone around the street and could tell me what's where...

2 comments:

DC Charity Change Jar said...

I am curious how the cell phone technology in other countries has affected privacy. I know that Japan and other countries are much further ahead of the US in terms of cell phone technology. Do they have issues with privacy there? Do you think the rate of identity theft is higher in Japan because of this cell phone technology?

ae said...

Darcie's questions are really important! In addition i would like to know if they use the GPS to track friends like they are thinking to do it here in the USA? Because I know the GPS is great, I have it on my phone and it helps me to get places all the time! But the other feature I have my doubts about...